Next-generation Kodak Theatre HD Player changes HDTV viewing experiences
Rochester, NY – July 29, 2009– Eastman Kodak Company (NYSE:EK) today unveiled next-generation functionality for the KODAK Theatre HD Player, further enhancing the device as a hub for wirelessly delivering personal content, online entertainment, and much more to HDTVs.
Revolutionizing the way images and videos can be enjoyed in HD* via a set-top box, the KODAK Theatre HD Player is an interactive device utilizing a groundbreaking “Point and Play” motion-sensing remote control to display personal content – pictures, video, podcasts, music – and Web-based content on a HDTV, while wirelessly connecting to a household’s private Wi-Fi network. The device also features broad file format and codec compatibility including Divx and xvid, H.264 and WMV-9 enhance content playability.
“We launched the KODAK Theatre HD Player last year on a test market basis, and through user studies learned what people liked, and what else they wanted in a set-top product,” says Phil Scott, Worldwide Director of Marketing, Digital Capture and Devices, Vice President, Eastman Kodak Company. “Version 1.4 of the KODAK Theatre HD Player firmware answers those consumer needs and desires, enhancing how pictures, videos and music are enjoyed and relived on the HDTV, while also providing access to great online entertainment and information from the comfort of the living or family room.”
New features delivered by the KODAK Theatre HD Player include:
- YouTube designed specifically for viewing on an HDTV. Consumers with YouTube access can search for videos by keyword, author, featured, top-rated and more; flag, rate and save videos; and maximize them to full screen.
- Net Video access to online entertainment. View hundreds of the latest free on-demand video feeds on the web—categories include news, sports, entertainment, lifestyle, comedy, family, and nature; add videos to your queue and mark favorites; browse feeds by newest, latest by category, most popular, or the entire selection
- Discovery collage views, a unique new way to rediscover the photos collected on your PC. Select “Today’s Collage” and the KODAK Theatre HD Player locates and displays pictures relevant to today’s date and two weeks forward, such as holidays, birthdays, and special family events; “Random Collage” searches for pictures on your PC and rotates randomly through your entire collection. Pictures you may have forgotten are found and displayed in HD, and whenever one catches your interest, simply select it to see more from that date or event.
- Turn your HDTV into your own personal dashboard with Café, an on demand content provider that enables you to create a configurable home page with information that matters to you, including weather, news and traffic information, as well as a Picture Chronicles slideshow, which displays personal photos taken around the same time of year.
About KODAK Theatre HD Player
The Point and Play remote-operated KODAK Theatre HD Player delivers personal content and entertainment in a family friendly design, and features:
- Unique pointer remote that makes it easy to navigate on-screen with a simple wave of your hand.
- Breakthrough user interface designed specifically for widescreen HDTV
- Slim design (6 in. × 8 in. × 1 in.) makes for a natural fit in virtually any home entertainment setting.
- Version 1.4 of KODAK Theatre HD Player firmware is accessed and installed wirelessly during initial product set-up.
Pricing and Availability
The KODAK Theatre HD Player retails for US $199.99 (MSRP) at Kodak.com and Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, Buy.com, Frontgate.com and Sears.com.
*Able to display HD still images (16:9 Aspect Ratio) and videos (1080p).
As the world's foremost imaging innovator, Kodak helps consumers, businesses, and creative professionals unleash the power of pictures and printing to enrich their lives.